Science behind Intermittent Fasting 20222: Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting. Dr. Jason Fung explains the idea, that grazing all day is not scientific, it is damaging. I.F. is very beneficial in all ways to lose weight, to maintain healthy regime.
What are types of intermittent Fasting
There are many types of intermittent fasting we can do. We are discussing here three popular intermittent fasting method.
a) Short Duration -16/4
This is method is fasting for 12 hours or longer up 16 hours and eating in the remaining hours. This is popularly known as 16/4 Intermittent Fasting method. Usually 16:4 I.F. is common and can be done by all (youngsters, Middle age, old age)
b) Long Duration – 24 hrs
- 24 hours fasting method is performed to loose weight. This method is suitable for the for middle aged people, 24 hr fasting is needed to lose weight, short term fast doesn’t work too much.
c) Very Long Duration – 48-72 hrs
Who should not do the Intermittent Fasting
While Intermittent fasting has many advantage and effective method to loose weight. We should also be informed that who should not do the Intermittent fasting in the following conditions.
- Intermittent Fasting is not recommended for pregnant or Brest feeding women.
- Generally fasting is not recommended for kids because they need more nutrition for growth.
- Intermittent Fasting is not recommended for athletes because they require their stored calories for their physical activities.
- Intermittent Fasting is not advisable if you have Diabetes
What does Intermittent Fasting do ?
Main benefit of Intermittent Fasting is it increases metabolic health, controls type-2 diabetes and it also helps to burn out those stored calories which make you fat and increase inertia in your body.
Intermittent Fasting For Women
Intermittent Fasting in women can reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. Pregnant and breast feeding women are not advised to do Intermittent Fasting.
How to Start the Intermittent Fasting ?
Intermittent fasting meaning: All of you need to have is gap between your meals, which is simple:-
You stop eating at 6PM and start eating again at 6AM. It is a 12 hr fasting which is a very simple one, Generally all of us can do this very easily.
- Most important regimes are as follows:
- 16:8 – Fasting for 16hr
- OMAD – one meal a day
- ADAF – Alternate day fasting
- 5:2 – Eat for five days normally and have 500 calories for two days. Days may or may not be consecutive
Dietary instructions for I.F.
In I.F. period one should take healthy diet less carb no sugar.
- Beans – People have eaten beans for millennia, like subsisted on beans and so on. So that it would be a vegetarian source of very good protein and actually be very delicious.
- Whole grain
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
Every fasting have some advantages. Now we will learn what are the benefits of Intermittent fasting .
- Weight loss due to burning of fat.
- Detoxification: Toxins stored in the body’s fat are dissolved and removed from the body.
- Immunity enhancement
Intermittent Fasting Results
Now, the question arises how it takes to Show Results if Intermittent Fasting? If you have started the Intermittent Fasting You might begin to first notice a difference in your body about 10 days after you begin intermittent fasting. It could take between 2-10 weeks for you to lose significant weight. You might lose up to a pound each week.
Life is not a sprint its a marathon, to run it We are designed to eat until we are full and stop ‘In our society today, it is so easy to keep eating and eating’ because food is readily available to us. But if we break our meals with periods of fasting, we can take our body back to maintenance state.